Monday, August 18, 2008

We Took A Hike

We'd been planning to go to PC Hill this afternoon. So we did. I got into my sweat pants and white shirt and sandals, no rubber shoes, my feet will just get skinned. Anna had a similar attire. When we neared two roads she asked me, "Which way?" I said, "Diretso" *Straight up*. Then she said, "Ah dito pala" *So this is the way*. I said "Yes, we will climb the stone steps going up the hill". When I began to climb, she was already skipping up the steps. I said, "Feel na feel mo ha" *You're really feelin' it* I grinned and laughed a lil'. Then I pointed her to the right direction and I said, "Up there to the left is the House of Correction". She said, "Why are they in prison?" I replied, "Coz they did something bad." I wasn't aware that time that she wanted me to say something funny. Coz we all know why people are in prison. "Where are they?" she asked. I said, "There," pointing to the people, "Those people who are waving at us." And yes, the prisoners were waving their hands. Every time I happen to see them in the prison they're always waving at passers-by.

Then we went over to the Cotabato Cave (Kutawato Cave). We peeked at it then went to walk up the upper part of the hill. There we saw the marvelous view of the City. It's breathtaking. We passed a barbecue stand but we ignored it, because we didn't bring any money with us. I told her to watch the people play basketball in the courts and to peek inside the park beside them. She refrained from doing that because she's scared of the people. She's not a native here. She's from Pikit, North Cotabato. After that, we went back down, and I suggested that we go to the different parts of the hill, but she said, "Wag na lang," *I don't think we should* She's the shy type, that's why. There are plenty of people at the other side of the hill, and she didn't want to be seen.

We walked on down the hill to go home. As we did, Anna said, "Tapon ta" *Tumawid tayo* In English it means, "Let's go to the other side of the street". We were walking on the sidewalk when a green van stopped beside us. When we looked, they were opening the seats and the door. We thought they were the rebels who will kidnap us, as if we are kidnap-worthy. And then the man inside said, "Hahayyyy" which is a sigh of complaint. It so happened that the passenger at the back of the van signaled for the driver to stop so he could step out. It's just that the driver stopped the van to where we were standing. And I said, "I thought we were gonna get kidnapped," She added, "May bababa lang pala" *Somebody was just going to step out of the van*.

Then we passed the people living in our street. And this group of three boys said to Anna, "I bet she's gonna laugh again," and Anna said, "Shut up over there," kiddingly. We reached the gate to our house and went inside, my friend said, "It's almost going to rain," pointing the umbrella up in the dusky sky.

No comments: